Friday, February 13, 2009

Ode to V Day...














Red Roses, chocolate, champagne, fabulous undies and candlelight - all the things we have been taught that are necessary for romance. Really? It's all so cliche to me. OK granted I've been with the same wonderful guy for the past 17 years - and yes we still do some of that stuff.

Actually Valentines Day was one of the tipping points for me when we had first started dating. I was recovering from a delightful case of mono and said guy had spent hours at my apartment making me Campbell's condensed soup and toasted bagels (we were in college OK?!). I remember Brian bringing take-out Chinese over along with a beautiful willow basket of plants (African Violet and Maidenhair fern) and a wonderful book about window box planting.

In my mono haze, I was pretty stunned - no chocolate (I don't like it - I know - weird!), no fresh cut flowers (I do my own) and a book - always a hit with me - and about gardening - Helloooooo!!! It was pretty clear to me that he "got me". And really this was only two months in - it could only get better from here - right?

It has - and we have settled into a very comfortable and happy tradition of low key Valentines celebrations that usually include take out Chinese. It works for us and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And so (you may wonder why I rattle on and on) these little traditions and quirky details are the things that can bring your wedding day personality and make it uniquely you. They are the inspiration of fun design details - find ways to incorporate them and you and your guests will end your wedding with some beautiful memories.







No comments: